- 2kg cleaned squid. Cut the tentacle rings in half (four little legs per piece) and slice the body into rings
- 2 dozen scrubbed mussels
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 2 large tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup Spanish Paella rice
- 2 packets squid ink (4 grams each)
- 4 cups broth: 2 c. bottled clam juice, 2 c. chicken stock
- pinch of saffron
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- saffron sea salt if you have it
In a sauce pan combine the clam juice, chicken stock and saffron, bring to a very low simmer, covered, and keep it at that temperature. The saffron will color and flavor the broth. Watch that it doesnít come to a full out boil.
Place the Paella pan over medium heat, slick it with the oil and saute the onions & garlic. Slowly, not too hot, donít brown, go for that translucent look. Give it a little salt and pepper, easy on the salt, since thereís more saltiness to come. Takes about 10-12 minutes.
Add the rice and stir around so itís coated with the oil and other stuff in the pan. Again, careful not to brown the rice. Add the squid and the tomatoes. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
Stir in the squid ink and evenly distribute. Itís fun to see this thick black paste spread thoughout the pan. Keep stirring.
Increase heat to medium high. Add 2 cups of hot broth, stirring gently until most of the liquid is absorbed by the rice.
Add the remaining 2 cups of broth, or as much as will fit into the pan. Decoarate the pan with the mussels, cover and steam until cooked.